7.22.2010

BUGS!!!

They always seem to find me.  Ask anyone who's ever lived with me spent 5 minutes with me, and they would tell you, "Erin is TERRIFIED of bugs".  Now some of you may ask, "Are you afraid of all bugs?" and I'm sorry to say, yes I am.  It doesn't matter what kind...it could be a sweet ladybug or butterfly, but if it lands on me, I'll scream!  My sister used to chase lightning bugs outside on summer nights, but I don't think I ever did that.  I can't explain it, but I've always been afraid.  I can rationalize that it's a bug that won't hurt me, but still I'm squeamish.  Then, there's the bugs that can hurt me...wasps, hornets, spiders, etc...the fear is worse for those.  Other animals scare me too such as snakes, lizards, and mice, and I have a feeling I'll never get over this.  Somehow, they always find me.


It dates back many years, so I'll leave out the stories leading up to college.  One night during my freshman year, my roommate Danielle and I were studying, when out of the blue she said, "Erin, don't scream".  Of course any rational person would then jump up on their desk in horror...she had found a lizard in our room and of course I screamed!  When I moved into the Cathouse, there were roaches in every nook and cranny...but don't worry, the exterminator came out! Then we got snakes in our house (3) and of course I was the one who found them each time.  Luckily, Katelyn was brave enough to get a trash bag, pick up the snake and throw it outside.  She saved my life!  My roommates even made a facebook group about my fear of bugs!  It's that bad folks!  My 5th year in college, I moved in with my friends Jordan and Angela, and much to my dismay we had other roommates...millipedes.  Ants lived with Graham and I in our first apartment, and now in our first "home" we have hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps...yes all three!  I don't know what I do to attract these kinds of bugs...I'm sure it's because I'm "too sweet" or something like that, but I wish they would go away!  Toby seems to like them though...he chases them around, but the day he catches one I think he'll be afraid of them too!


I don't know where my fear comes from...my mom is terrified of mice, and I don't blame her, but I don't think "fear of bugs/pests/reptiles" is a genetic issue.  I could never be on that show Fear Factor.  Being in a box full of scorpions, or eating a bucket full of worms....that sounds like my worst nightmare.  Until I discover where my fear comes from, I'll continue praying for peace of mind, I'll keep trusting in the Lord that no bugs will get me, and unfortunately for Graham, I'll keep screaming for him each time I find a new one!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the bugs...I don't like them either. What a good job you've done with your blog...very impressive! While reading it, I can just hear you saying it, too! I look forward to future postings!

    ReplyDelete